Monday, June 10, 2013

String Art: Crates and Nails

Sometimes, when people find out that Julie and I have started crafting, they assume that Julie does most of the projects that find their way to Facebook and Etsy. Not so! We each have our own projects — she likes to work with ribbon, wreath forms, yarn, and crochet needles, and I work with the more manly things, you know, nails, twine, wood, wine and beer bottles, and things that generally require sanding and/or hammers.

If you've had the chance to take a look at our Etsy store, you'll see some of the string art projects I've made so far. The one I want to share with you here today is my absolute favorite one to date.

My friend Zac has found the name "Satterwhite" amusing since we met in the summer of 2009. In fact, it was his fascination with putting "Satter-" in front of everything (Julie is my Satterwife, Maddy is our Satterpup, and so on) that gave rise to "SatterThings." So, when Zac and his wife Kaley got married back in May, I thought it would be perfect for us to share a SatterThing with them for their big day!

This project started with an old orchard crate from Black Dog Salvage that was quickly disassembled in the middle of our living room floor. After some sanding, a dark stain, and some dark tacks, I had something I could work on. About 350 nails later, I started stringing! I just happened to have a variegated yarn that matched the pastels that Zac and Kaley used at their wedding. Hopefully, this piece will be a nice addition to their new Sweeney household!

 


I'm planning on making one similar to this one with either "Satterwhite" or "J&W" for our house next! If you'd like something similar, just send us an email at SatterThings@gmail.com and we'll talk!

1 comment:

  1. I misread that as "Swancy" the first time. You know, a combination of "Swanky" and "Fancy".

    ReplyDelete