Saturday, August 3, 2013

Crocheted Cancer Awareness Ribbons

I started participating in Relay For Life in 2007-2008 as a freshmen at Virginia Tech and even though I always personally raise funds online and by mailing letters, I never really got into the whole on-site fundraiser portion of the event. As a staff partner with the American Cancer Society I tell teams all the time about how important on-site fundraisers are, but I hadn't really planned one for this year because I'd been busy.

Look at all the colors!
That was, until my Mom found a pattern for crocheted awareness ribbons, and we decided to put together a really neat on-site fundaiser.  We had (and still have!) lots of yarn left over from other projects, and we knew that they would be something quick and fun to make.  I set to work making lots of purple (the official color of Relay For Life and all cancers) and anything else I could find.  We made sure ot cover as many of the cancers as we could -- colon, lung, lymphoma, childhood, breast, cervical, uterine, brain, pancreatic, leukemia, kidney, prostate, liver, sarcoma, and bone.  Each ribbon also has a safety pin with it so it can be worn in support of the fight against cancer.


As I worked on them each ribbon not only represented the fight against the cancer it represents but also everyone I know who has fought cancer -- especially the colors white, pink, peach, and yellow. 
My Grandpa Rex (left and bottom) passed away in January 2001 from lung cancer, and my Grandma Mary (right and top) passed away in November 2009 from a multi-year battle with breast and uterine cancers.

Our dog Gracie passed away earlier this year after a long battle with several medical issues including a tumor.

We still have lots of these crocheted cancer awareness ribbons left and they are now for sale in our SatterThings shop on Etsy.  Proceeds of the sales will be donated to the American Cancer Society to help fun research and patient programs that fight cancer every day.  One day I'll only have to make these to honor survivors, and one day I won't have to make them at all anymore.

If you want more information about the American Cancer Society or how you can help finish the fight please feel free to visit cancer.org, call 1-800-ACS-2345 (1-800-227-2345) or email me at SatterThings@gmail.com and I can help you out.

Thanks for stopping by!
-Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment