Friday, June 21, 2013

Blankets: Star

I first learned how to crochet in 6th grade and it was a horrible failure. The students at my middle school were required to take a life skills class and one of our projects was Project Linus where you make handmade blankets for kids in the hospital. As a class we made a couple of quilts (with help from moms of course) and a few of us made our own blankets. My Mom tried to teach me to crochet but when I was done with my "blanket" it needed some major adjusting on her part. So after that attempt I didn't try anymore for many, many, many years.

Right before college I taught myself to knit and it went a lot better! I made mostly scarves for about 2 years before trying my first blanket. After dropped stitches and learning to use circular needles I finally made a presentable blanket! I worked just with knitting needles for another year or two and then decided it was time to try crocheting again. In teaching myself, I learned how to not lose or gain stitches on the ends (my problem when I was 12) and the difference between single, double, and triple crochet. As soon as I finished my first blanket I had to make more and I wanted to try new designs, I even spent one night learning from YouTube how to make a basic granny square (which I quickly adapted into baby blankets - 5 in total).

A friend of mine found out I was making these giant granny square baby blankets, and sent me a pattern for a star blanket. It wasn't easy at first - lots of new terms - but once I got the first 5 or so rows done I couldn't stop. I have now made 3 (2 pictured below)! The pattern is super easy and makes the CUTEST baby blanket. Check 'em out:

Solid Yellow
Grey & Green/Yellow 
Wouldn't this look cute in a baby's room?
These two will be eventually posted to our Etsy store, there are currently 4 other blankets posted that are just as cute. Now that I have finished my third one (sorry no pictures yet) I need to figure out what my next crocheting project is going to be, in the mean time I'm working on some new wreaths - more info to come soon!

Thanks for stopping by - Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment